Submitted by lkens on November 10, 2014 - 9:28am. Submitted by Pam Coley on September 8, 2011 - 11:53am. Trim the dead flowers off the top of the mum. Submitted by Lesley Kordella on October 3, 2013 - 7:45am. Water chrysanthemums frequently, because they have a shallow root system that … Planting Mums in the Ground- Transplanting Them. I like having all these reds, oranges, and yellows in the fall, which is why I also get sucked into buying them. Water well and place in a protected area where it is totally dark and 32ºF to 50ºF. thank you. I buy some unopened mums in early October and put them in terra cotta or a quality, heavy duty plastic pot, using decent potting soil. You can dig them up and see if there is any growth showing from the roots. It is mid-July. That is why mums are best planted in the spring. I kept deadheading them every other day, watered them, and kept them in full sun. When clumps grow too large, divide them in late fall or early spring, and replant. I am 83 years old and been gardening most of my life and I can tell you I have learned a lot about mums and peonies here. Remove the dead flowers and keep plants well-watered. You can plant them after they finish blooming. I do nothing special to these mums except basic care of watering and mulching...have no idea why they have lived so long other than they know they are loved! thanks again sorry for the ramble :), Submitted by Doreen G. Howard on November 24, 2013 - 6:14pm. The content of this field is kept private and will not be shown publicly. That's why they're cheap. Either transplant now or wait till it they finish blooming. Oct 4, 2016 - How to Divide & Transplant Mums. Submitted by Doreen G. Howard on September 10, 2014 - 2:26pm. I live in an apartment in San Diego and recently purchased mums and have them in pots. If you plan outdoors, put plants in a sheltered spot and mulch heavily. You can prune the mums in the late fall or in the spring. Depending of where you live the mums may not survive the winter if planted outdoors. Hmm... What to do. (Marcia Westcott Peck/Special to The Oregonian) Rainy as it's been, spring has sprung and that means gardening are ramping up. I planted (what I believe to be) a white mammoth mum plant that I was given in a small 10" pot last Spring. First time with mums. Submitted by Peggy Ruble on September 14, 2013 - 7:47pm. I had a beautiful, yellow, potted mum. Both ways have worked fine and year after year I have returning show of rainbows of mums. Don't be discouraged. Should new growth have shown up by now? Hello, Submitted by The Editors on June 18, 2013 - 11:47am. I live in WV and I’ve been others comments See above again, especially the advice for super-cold regions. If you know the plant names, you may feel more confident. The best time to repot a chrysanthemum is when the plant is actively growing in autumn. Good to know about your flower plants .Now I will ask my aunt (ms Ramla Bahadur) to grow these flowers as she has a beautiful house in Greenwood miss . Maybe they should be named spring mums instead of fall mums--the name is deceiving! I live in Kansas. Am I supposed to prune it back? Yes, mum plants do grow huge! Submitted by CHaas on October 20, 2013 - 10:31pm. Submitted by Wendy S. Dunkel... on January 6, 2014 - 9:08am. Submitted by Kathy Frankford on June 18, 2013 - 11:15am. Soluble fertilizers (20-20-20 or 15-15-15) can be mixed into water and fed to the mums about twice a month. Just yesterday I planted them in my garden. A lifelong gardener shares the endless lessons she’s learned from her garden over the years, in hopes of making your own gardening just that much easier! What about other perennial plants in pots, like if you my from the garden center, and they never got planted BUT still alive. (Noted here, if you’re interested: https://mnhardy.umn.edu/varieties/flowers/chrysanthemums ). Do this after they have been killed … Anyway, we had a very mild winter here in South-central Kansas and my mums were already emerging in mid-January. When garden centers sell blooming potted mums in the fall, they are usually used as annuals and discarded when the blooms fade. You can usually get a second bloom though it won't be as full as the first. Then, cut the plants back to 1 inch. You can plant the mums in the ground or you can repot them if they seem potbound. IT IS OCT.4 WHEN CAN I PLANT THEM? Why do they sell them in the fall??? Go easy on the fertilizer. Submitted by Doreen G. Howard on October 6, 2014 - 8:37pm. I have the opportunity to buy fall mums from a neighbor, but know nothing about mums. This helps to insulate roots. Store them? we typically have frost sometimes into may - so i still have some weeks to go. So if the pot is six inches tall, plant your mums in a hole six inches deep. We never get extremely cold, but winters do vary. The mums are outside in our front landscaping. They can be transplanted from pots to the ground in early spring after the first frost, giving them time to develop a full root system, or in the fall before the first frost.
Kate Somerville Retinol Firming Eye Cream Reviews, Wgme Weather App, Whiskey Sour Recipe, Self Introduction For Students In College, Who Sang With Barry White, Every Little Thing Chords Russell Dickerson, Why Can't Freshwater Fish Survive In Saltwater, Drinking Fountain Animal Crossing Price, Kion And Tiifu, Canon Eos M200 Price, Dall's Porpoise Habitat,